EVA resin is typically a thermoplastic resin that is copolymerized with other resins such as LDPE and LLDPE or it is part of multilayer films. LDPE is low density polyethylene and LLDPE is linear low density polyethylene, these less expensive polymers provide favorable mechanical and chemical resistance properties. EVA resins have an extremely elastic and tough thermoplastic which provides excellent clarity and gloss with little odor.
EVA resins and films have different characteristics largely depending on the molecular weight and vinyl acetate content. Which makes it possible to provide multifunctional features, and its uses are wide spread in different industries and manufacturing sectors. With such demand, The Global EVA Resins and Films market is projected to reach USD 7.4 BIllion by 2030.
What Are EVA Resins and Films?
EVA i.e. Ethylene Vinyl Acetate is a copolymer resin of ethylene and vinyl acetate. The end properties of EVA depend on the content of vinyl acetate present in it. The vinyl acetate content can vary with the polymerization technique used for the formation of an Ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer. EVA can also be cross-linked using peroxides and radiation methods.
EVA films are formed after heating and mixing a number of ingredients with resin. It is then extruded using a flat die.EVA films can be available in clear, white, and other different colors. It is packed in roll forms and contains no plasticizer. Adhesive EVA film is non-sticky and has a smooth surface. It is used as an interlayer sandwich between two plastic or glass sheets.
In copolymers, the percentage of EVA ranges from 2% to 25%. A lower percentage of EVA enhances the clarity and sealability of the resins. Whereas a higher percentage helps to reduce the melting point and improves low-temperature performance. In general vinyl acetate content affects the mechanical properties. Its higher percentage provides better clarity.
Some of the common properties of EVA films include toughness, strength, durability, transparency, moisture resistance, and high elongation at break. EVA resins made by vinyl acetate monomer and ethylene provide features such as improved stress crack resistance and it can keep its flexibility without using plasticizer within a wide temperature range of 60°C to 150°C.
It is basically elastomeric polymer rubber-like material that has softness and flexibility. Cross-linked EVA formulations have good weathering, and ozone resistance and are sulphur free. Depending on the vinyl content, EVA has low proportion VA, medium proportion VA and high proportion VA which is useful for certain applications.
Use Cases of EVA Resins and Films
EVA resins and films combined provide better functioning and have many applications in several industries. Some of the basic use cases of EVA resins and films are as listed below.
- It is mainly used in building and automotive industries to provide safety, insulation, sound insulation, and anti-UV characteristics.
- EVA is an average barrier to gasses and moisture and that's why it is used in the packaging of frozen food.
- Due to its properties such as high coefficient of friction, low seal initiation temperature and great impact resistance it is used in paper and packaging industries as well as electrical and electronics industries.
- EVA has properties of encapsulating material, which is widely used in solar cell encapsulation. Here the solar module performance depends on the strength of bonding materials between EVA and its components.
- Due to its capacity to impart robustness and softness, EVA is commonly used in foam which is further used in footwear manufacturing.
- It is also used for lamination of glass to improve impact resistance.
Continuous adaptation of new technology and advancements in the production of EVA resins and films will increase to accomplish its requirements from different sectors worldwide. Government initiatives in the agriculture and solar industry will boost the demand for ethylene vinyl acetate copolymers. An increase in electronics consumers will require more packaging material which is again beneficial for EVA resins and films market.